Friday, November 13, 2009

Throw out your rules! These are Road Rules!


As previously mentioned, I tape everything... so after writing about Road Rules Semester at Sea yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find that tape clearly labeled and accessible when I got home. Although it was great catching up with the gang on the high seas, and I was beyond thrilled when I heard the intro line again (so much so that I chimed in and shouted "These are Road Rules!!" at the TV with more enthusiasm than was appropriate), it was really something else on the tape that caught my interest... an episode of "The Real World" 6: Boston.

It's been a while since I have seen episodes of "retro" Real World - remember when it seemed incredible that they reached season 10? - wait... did they go back to LA for season 20 because season 2 was in LA? something to think about... anyway... it's been a while since I have watched any episode of "The Real World" that is 30 minutes in length, but I clearly remember the fighting and the yelling and the pure hard core drama that came from the Boston cast - but I was shocked by what I saw last night.

Sure enough, Kameelah is in fact upset by the absolute and utter ruckus that is coming from the downstairs floor of the house that the cast is sharing on Martha's Vineyard - this part is not surprising... what is surprising however is when the viewers get to investigate the commotion for themselves. It turns out that the indecent behavior that the immature gang of Cyrus, Montana, Elka, and Sean is engaging in is drinking beer and playing... wait for it... charades. Seriously. The thing where you act out clues and people guess... you know... it's that game your parents play with their neighbors on Saturday nights once a month.

Kameelah then goes on to state in her outrage that she knows what she "doesn't want to be" when she looks at her roommates - other than Jason and Genesis. One question for you though Kameelah, is it the charades or the beer? Because if it's the charades, would pictionary be ok? If it's the six pack though then I guess maybe there is a bigger issue.

The thing that I like about "The Real World" is that it has captured the ways and behaviors of young people over the last two decades - like a time capsule. I don't think that MTV or Bunim Murray is necessarily at fault for turning the show into a 24/7 Spring Break - maybe it's a societal thing... or maybe it's that they are specifically casting kids who like to do drugs and party - decide for yourselves. One thing I do know though is that any outrage over the immaturity and annoyance of beer and charades has faded into yesteryear... and I have to admit - that makes me a little sad. Where have the days gone?

In the shift from kids trying to find themselves, meet new people, and experience new places to kids trying to out drink each other, bone more people/roommates than the others, and just try to get through the season without getting kicked out, it is worth noting some key differences between then and now. For instance, then, Rachel and Cori rebelled by staying in and drinking wine in San Francisco, and now, Briana is worried that the girl who she made out with at the club might have been doing cocaine because her lips have gone numb. Then - Melissa, Mike, and other friends have an orgy in the shower, and now - ok... well I guess not everything has changed... and yes, Montana - it is still illegal to give wine to children.

Anyway you look at it, "The Real World" has been a pioneer in TV, and any which way the kids behave, I just hope they never stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment